Friday, February 4, 2011

Meaningful Moments in Art


This is a piece I created in a class last November. It's created from an old hinge, a polymer transfer image of my maternal grandparents when they dated (they are wearing ice skates!) and my late grandmother's ring. I love how the rusty hinge symbolizes their important role in our lives and how the ring is centered in front - when it's hanging, you almost have to see through the ring's circle to see them which reminds me of their eternal bond of love.

Another Nana piece, this one was for myself. I had been inspired by the dolls I'd seen at the class I was at, though that wasn't the focus of the class - it was really a jewelery making class, but I obviously strayed! I got home and pulled out all my stored and hidden bits from her collections and compiled a piece that maybe only I am drawn to. The substrate is a piece of driftwood from the shores of Lake Michigan where we camped together when I was a child. The matriarchal crown was cut from a cookie tin she gave me years ago. Then there are bits of her old sewing kit (thimble heels, measuring tape skirt with old buttons), The white of the skirt is a journal entry from her camping journal from 1972 when I was just a little girl. It includes all the things we did that day together and a side note that I spent 17 days camping with them. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment